What's it all about?

40 nights for the orphans of India. My 'Lent in a Tent' is about raising hugely needed funds for 'Shining Faces in India' orphanage in Salem, Tamil Nadhu, by sleeping ouside the Chaplaincy at King's Bruton for 40 nights. My target is at least £10,000 - which amazingly is only enough to feed the hundreds of children there for about two months.

I hope that many might be inspired to trade 40 pounds for my 40 nights. Actually, in the back of my mind I'm convinced that we could smash through the target and go much much further ... I wonder.

Friday 1 March 2013

Smoke without fire? ... night 24/40

I'm feeling nervous, but it might just be smoke without fire.

We've all been watching with such excitement as the funds have flowed into the India account ... we've been talking about just how far they'll go and what a difference they'll make. All most defintely true.

But here's what's happened. After only night 22/40, far quicker than I'd ever imagined, we hit the target I'd assumed was a stretch goal for the full 40 nights! That's down to you. More generous donors have acted since, but the rate has sunk dramatically with that breaking news. Actually, the following day was the first day since I entered the tent that no donations appeared.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not claiming a 'right to receive' on behalf of the children. there really is no such right. It's just that I fear there might be a feeling of 'job done'. Is that fire of truth or just smoke without fire?


The real truth is that there's so much more we could do if we only grasp this moment to do it. 17 more nights and I strike camp and head home. Until then I stay out, stay cold and stay hoping. I'm worried, though, that there are plenty of supporters who sincerely intended to join in but now think the need has gone ... target reached ... job done.

I've been talking with Jayaraj today about his greatest desires for the orphanage right now. I'll give you details and costings tomorrow. The thing is, I really think we could take his whole list and say, 'Jayaraj, consider it done'.  But not if we see our job as done. We're waiting on a couple of final costings, but I'm thinking the total will come in somewhere between £15-20,000. That's far beyond my original target, but you've already shown me how wrong I can be!

Over the remaining 17 nights could it be that many more put their stake in the ground ... mark their intent to become part of a remarkable moment of provision that the children will benefit from and talk about for many years to come?

My hope and prayer is that this is just smoke without fire. I was wrong at the start and I'm probably wrong now! To be honest, though, I don't think I'd ever embrace my own error as much as today ...

To prove me wrong please just click here to make a donation


No comments:

Post a Comment