What's it all about?

40 nights for the orphans of India. My 'Lent in a Tent' is about raising hugely needed funds for 'Shining Faces in India' orphanage in Salem, Tamil Nadhu, by sleeping ouside the Chaplaincy at King's Bruton for 40 nights. My target is at least £10,000 - which amazingly is only enough to feed the hundreds of children there for about two months.

I hope that many might be inspired to trade 40 pounds for my 40 nights. Actually, in the back of my mind I'm convinced that we could smash through the target and go much much further ... I wonder.

Friday 15 March 2013

In concert ... night 38/40

I've just come back from a fabulous Spring Concert here at King's. Of all the opportunities my rich life affords me, one of the most thrilling is the chance to watch and hear the extraordinary things our young men and women create.

My heart swells with pride for them all ... face grins with their grins ... eyes catching theirs to offer the momentary message of support and approval.

But it's the concert that makes the evening. 'Concert' ... defined as, 'Agreement in purpose, feeling, or action', or 'Unity achieved by mutual communication of views, ideas, and opinions.' That's the real making of the evening ... boys, girls and staff working in concert.

It's the same concert that plays the music of life so beautifully in India. Without the concert there's just buildings. Vast ... empty ... sterile ...


That's the nursing clinic first door on the left, and school-rooms further down ... but no concert. Add a person ... one precious one ...


She's one of Girija's friends. Full of life, contentment, smiles and fun. Just one player in the orchestra, but vital and the only one like her. Add more ...


Now we're on our way. Character and personality inhabit the concrete and fields and the concert begins to play; 'united in purpose, feeling and action' is how the definition goes ... survival ... gratitude ... hard work. Does that do? Then just add staff ...


Now the concert is fully underway ... girls, boys and staff united in common purpose and agreement for the good of them all - children to take their place in life, staff to play out theirs.

I loved the Spring Concert, and I love this concert of life we have a chance to participate in. It's a concert open to all, not to spectate, but to join as a player. There's no end to the variety of instrument or the way they're played ... as rich a variety as there are people wanting to take part.

These different days are almost over ... my tent life about to give way to the normality of home life once again. It's wet, windy and gloomy outside, but in India the concert plays on, and our part never ends.

If you'd like to join the orchestra then please ...

No comments:

Post a Comment