What's it all about?

40 nights for the orphans of India. My 'Lent in a Tent' is about raising hugely needed funds for 'Shining Faces in India' orphanage in Salem, Tamil Nadhu, by sleeping ouside the Chaplaincy at King's Bruton for 40 nights. My target is at least £10,000 - which amazingly is only enough to feed the hundreds of children there for about two months.

I hope that many might be inspired to trade 40 pounds for my 40 nights. Actually, in the back of my mind I'm convinced that we could smash through the target and go much much further ... I wonder.

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Black & white ... night 29/40

It's quite a slur normally ... to be told you only see things in black and white.

The suggestion is that there's a shallowness to you; an inability to spot and appreciate the nuances of the situation ... the subtleties and complexities that a more mature appreciation would allow access to.

But then again, black and white can be a fantastic way of seeing things ...


In a remarkable way the removal of the complexities of colour seem to offer us a far purer view of life and character at the orphanage. We lose the distraction of all those competing tones, and instead have simplicity of form, flow and contrast. Somehow it removes barriers and ushers us in to the uncluttered self in the frame.
 
Actually, 'black and white' as a name is a bit of a misconception. 'Monochrome' is better because it says what there really is in the image ... just many shades of one colour not two ...
 
 
And maybe there's benefit in black and white for you, me and the orphanage as well? If I examine my own heart I think I find that it's in the black and white of the situation in India that I find the most compelling call for personal action. It forces me to see the stark reality of how things really are.
 
It's in the undergrowth of the subtleties, complexities and nuances of the situation that my excuses find their camouflage and cover. Strip all that away and they're exposed for what they are in the light and pure truth of the real lives these children have endured.
 
So let's see things in black and white from time to time, and allow the infinite shades of monochrome in these precious little ones lay bare anything in us that would deny their call upon our lives to walk with them, if only a few steps, into a future we have the power to improve ...
 
 
If black and white inspires you to take this moment for a few steps, then please ...
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment